I was raised in Hong Kong before moving to New York for high school. I graduated from Grinnell College where I fell in love with Iowa and chose to stay here after graduating to raise my family.
A friend to animals, my place is home to several dogs, cats, chickens, and horses. I enjoy painting in my free time. Some of my work can be seen in the office!
Since 1992 I have specialized in the practice of Social Security Disability law. Prior to Working with John Bowman at the firm in which we are partners, I worked for Iowa Legal Aid from 1986 to 1992. While with Legal Aid, I was lead counsel in three class-action lawsuits; two against the Social Security Administration and the Iowa Disability Determination Service, and one (a consumer law case) against ITT Financial Service, for building illegal charges into consumer loans.
I have been a frequent speaker and lecturer at legal aid trainings, as well as a frequent presenter and lecturer at the National Organization of Social Security Claimants and Representatives Conference for twenty years.
- Admitted to Practice in Iowa in 1984.
- Admitted to Practice in South Dakota in 1985.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Iowa in 1986.
- Admitted to practice in the U.S. District Court for the Central District of Illinois in 1993.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court of Appeal for the Eighth Circuit in 1988.
- Admitted to practice before the U.S. District Court for the Seventh Circuit Court of Appeals in 1993.
- Graduated in 1980 with a B.A. in Philosophy from Grinnell College.
- Graduated in 1984 with a J.D (Juris Doctor) from the University of Iowa.